Post #4 -“If We Were Villains”

Reposted overview for new readers (brief backstory). A group of seven four-year actors at Dellecher Classical Conservatory, study Shakespeare and his plays, while taking their on-stage characters offstage too, as they embody their roles. Furthermore, they all have drastically different roles (tyrant, temptress, hero, etc.) while still remaining a close friend group after many long years at one of the most difficult acting schools to graduate from. The book’s beginning was just explaining everyone’s role and how they all “mesh”. The main character Oliver, has been in jail for a decade until now, he’s released for something he may or may not have done. The book is written in both the past, explaining the group’s life while in school together, and just snippets so far of now, Oliver out of jail and explaining what truly happened all those years ago.

I didn’t read as huge a chunk as last time, so no major events have happened yet….But since the last post they have decided to leave Richard to die (okay I guess that’s kind of a big deal). Oliver checked to really see if he was dead under the cold, cruel water…and he definitely was. He was described as something like a Pandora box, something untouchable, or at least something you wouldn’t want to associate with. They all come to a decision to leave Richard there and NOT TELL THE TRUTH. Which I’m a little upset about because it’s like…I get your theater kids and have it in your very self to change the truth or put on a show, but I mean really? They all suspect that none of them in the group could have killed him (yet I speculate James for sure killed him, whether from pent-up anguish that night or pure envy, or most likely- both), so I don’t see why they are making the decisions to A), lie about Richard’s previous outbursts and near-killing accounts directed towards them and B), lie about there events the night of the probable murder/possible suicide. Like I understand they don’t want to be seen as suspects, or like they would have a motive to kill him (which they most definitely do- if it had not been Richard, one of them would be next), but I don’t understand because none of them yet suspect anyone in the group would have killed him…So maybe it’s just the theater in them exaggerating what needs to happen? Either way, I’m both upset and disappointed with this, as I know Oliver takes the downfall of whatever happens, and I really like Oliver as a character!!

Man that survived 110ft fall tells of his recovery 10 years after he  cheated death as a teen | Daily Mail Online
I think this photo perfectly depicts both the situation and emotions of the current scenes perfectly. Given that nearly all the frightening events have happened near the water, this photo seems fitting to have a near-destroyed, broken castle sitting atop it. They often refer to their dorm area as “The Castle”, because it is isolated compared to the rest of the students, and is rather castle-like (plus they’re theater students so why wouldn’t they allude to this). And most importantly, Richard was often seen as the “King”, no matter how vindictive or cruel, and now that he is dead, the Castle is rather unfitting without him, hence the fact it is nearly falling into the water, where the Tyrant was tragically put to death.

A few additional thoughts/storyline pieces… Oliver ended up going into Merideth’s room again, the night after they both found Richard dead and had investigations in the evening. He just comforted her, although I feel as though he’s becoming attached, and as James has mentioned to him, it’s not going to look good for him when it comes to further investigation time. Although Oliver was skeptical of James after James mentioned this because, of course, Oliver had no idea that it would seem suspicious as he did nothing to Richard, and became skeptic of James because he had such a strong say in the matter. Again I think that, and so did Oliver for a split second, James killed Richard so of course he associates everything with what could possibly happen to him/the group, or be used against him/the group. I also think that James reacted this way to Oliver about him and Merideth, because again, James is in love with Oliver and vice versa.

3 Comments

1. Chase G said:

This book sounds like it could be an interesting read. Its crazy that they would just leave him there and not tell anyone about him. What do you think is going to happen next? if there was not too much going on in this section then hopefully something big is going to come.

December 1, 2023
    Reply
    • lizabear said:

Yeah, I feel like because they’re theater kids and due to Richards’s previous behavior, it ultimately led them to the decision… I think they’re either going to go in for another interrogation, or they’re going to continue on with school after they have the funeral and break, and then things will stir up again and someone will suspect something and then finally Oliver will be a likely suspect (even if he didn’t do it)…mostly likely option two because of how much left the book has and -of course- for the suspense. And yes, agreed!

December 5, 2023
      Reply
  2. 25llaynie said:

Throughout all the events that have happened in this story, how do you feel it will progress and continue on? Since reading last, the characters have been changing and people are dying, which I didnt expect from this book. Whats your favorite part about it?

December 18, 2023
    Reply